Date and Hazelnut Cake Osmallieh
- 5 chicken thigh filets, skin on
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 pinches of saffron
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 50 ml white wine
- 200 ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Sea salt
- A handful of chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and brown the chicken skin side down first for 3 to 4 minutes; turn over and cook on the other side for another 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Using the same pan sauté the onions with a little salt for about 5 minutes until they turn a golden colour.
- Add the crushed garlic and sauté for a further minute.
- Add ground spices and mix them with onion and garlic. Heat will release their aromas.
- Return the chicken to the pan and coat it with the spice mixture.
- Add the wine, bring to a quick boil for 1 minute until reduced and then add water and bay leaves.
- Bring back to boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving it garnished with parsley and toasted almonds.