- 1 kg/ 2 lb tomatoes
- 600 g/ 1.3 lb cherries
- 15 g onion
- 15 g stale bread
- 1/4 fennel bulb and a little more, sliced for the garnish
- 1/4 green pepper
- 1 table spoon fennel fronds
- 15 g sea salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 65 ml/2 fl oz olive oil and more for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Place the tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute, strain and run under cold water. Peel and seed the tomatoes and set aside.
- Chop the onion, garlic, pepper and fennel separately and set aside.
- With a cherry pitter, remove the stones and discard them, making sure that none are left in.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions until soft for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 3o seconds, then add the pepper and fennel; cook until tender, finally incorporate the tomatoes. Cover and cook over low heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Combine tomatoes, cherries and bread in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Add vinegar and olive oil. Taste and add more vinegar or salt if needed.
- Transfer to a jug and chill for a couple of hours in the fridge.
- Serve in individuals bowls or cups. garnish with sliced fennel and fronds and drizzle with olive oil.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!