Years ago when we were in Aguas Calientes, the village near Machu Picchu, Peru, we went to a restaurant called Indio Feliz which was run by a lady who served the most delicious garlic and herb sautéed potatoes. We loved the aroma and flavor of this dish that we returned for more.
My baked potatoes are based on that flavor memory and because I am currently in Greece, it is impossible to ignore the delicious slabs of feta cheese that our local cheese maker sells. You can add as little or as much as you like.
6 medium potatoes
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon oregano
6 tablespoons olive oil
100 g feta, crumbled
- Place the potatoes in a pot, cover with water, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the pan and run under cold water.
- Grease an oven proof oven with oil.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes and arrange them into the greased dish.
- Mix the rest of the olive oil, with the garlic, herb and pepper, and drizzles over the potatoes. Place the dish in a preheated oven at 180ºC and bake for 20 minutes.
- Crumble the feta cheese.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven, scatter the cheese over the potatoes, and return to the hot oven for another 10 minutes.
- Serves hot.