Lebanese Jeweled Rice
- 200 g /1 cup minced meat (beef, lamb or a mixture of both)
- 250 g / 2 ¼ cup basmati rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 500 ml water
- 2 tablespoons white raisins / sultanas
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- For the garnish:
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons peeled almonds
- 2 tablespoons pistachio nuts
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- Take a wide based pan. Chop the onion finely and fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat in 2 tablespoons olive oil until translucent and soft.
- Increase the heat, and add the meat making sure that it is spread across the pan. You want the meat to be seared on one side before turning it over to cook it on the other side.
- Add all the spices and the salt to taste, and stir to mix into the meat.
- Add the cranberries and raisins.
- Transfer to a deep pot.
- Stir the rice, into the meat and spice mixture for 1 minute.
- Add water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and leave on a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile coat the nuts with oil and sprinkle them with salt.
- Place on oven tray and toast in a pre-heated oven at 180ºC or 360ºF for 7 minutes.
- When the rice is ready, transfer it to serving dish and garnish with the toasted nuts
- Serve hot.
- The rice can be re-heated either in a microwave or add a little water and place over the lowest heat.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!