Chickpea and Meatball Soup
For the meatballs:
- 450 g steak mince
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 30 g flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- A handful of basil leaves
- Sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
For the soup:
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 celery stick, diced
- 400 g cooked chickpeas
- 1 ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tomato peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1.2 L water
- 40 g coriander, finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered or flaked almonds
- Using a food processor or by hand, combine the meat with the chopped onions, parsley, basil, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC and oil a large oven proof tray.
- Form the meat into walnut size balls between the palms of your hands and place them directly onto the oiled tray.
- Bake in the hot oven for 15 minutes, until the boulettes look cooked and are brown on the surface.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and sauté the leeks with a pinch of salt for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the celery and cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato and mix in the spices.
- Incorporate the chickpeas and toss them into the mixture for about 1 minute.
- Add water and bay leaves, and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to its lowest and cook for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan sauté the coriander in a little oil and set aside.
- Combine the meatball into the soup and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Finally add the lemon juice and the coriander.
- Remove the soup from the heat and leave it to rest for 15 minutes before serving it with the almonds sprinkled on top.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!